Play WriteTeacher: Kathy Abelanet
Grade Level(s): 10th-12th
Class Cost and Length in Weeks:
$24/week for 32 Weeks*
$20 material fee
Class Size: Min 5 / Max 6
- This course is designed to develop the writer’s individual theatrical style through the writing of scenes and a 1-act play (or work toward a full-length play).
- Students will explore the dimensions of writing for the stage through key areas of craft, including language, dialogue, the essentials of dramatic form, and structure.
- They will also focus on dramatic tension (behavior, action, and the spoken word) and character–fulfilling theme through the depiction of characters with distinct voices and histories.
- This course is designed to give the student the fundamentals of play construction and theory, using writing techniques and exercise, and in-class feedback.
- The goal is to complete a one-act play or one act of a play. The class will culminate with a final presentation in which the class participants will act as director, *actors, producer, and stage management.
*Actors will be the students in the class, or the students in the class will act as a panel to select various actors from outside the class to perform roles as needed.
To be successful in this class, students will need to be highly self-motivated and passionate about this area of study.
No curriculum required.
Class Prerequisites: Must have a love of writing and the ability to work as a group
*Please see our Payment Details page for more information.